5PM UPDATE: TWELVE fire crew were at the scene of a large, fast-moving bushfire at Bongaree, Bribie Island on Friday afternoon.
The Department of Community Safety said fire crews increased their presence.
A DCS spokeswoman said 12 fire crews were at the scene (six rural and six urban crews) along with other emergency service support.
Forecast rain for this evening is expected to ease conditions however fire crews were playing a waiting game to see what would happen overnight..
The fire was located near Hunter St, Ford St and Kendall St behind the Buckley's Hole area, Bongaree.
The fire was travelling in a south-westerly direction on the southern tip of Bribie Island.
The blaze broke out around 5am today.
Firefighters were working to contain the fire by constructing fire breaks and conducting backburning operations.
Flinders St resident Stephanie Leach said when she went to bed last night they could smell smoke.
"When I got up at 7.30am this morning the fireys were there."
Ms Leach said fires in the area were common.
"Last year at Christmas we had about nine fires in three weeks," she said.
Neighbourhood Watch Area Coodinator Alan Brown was concerned about the amount of wind in the area.
"If the wind changes it will be a worry," he said.
A Moreton Bay Regional Council spokeswoman said council crews are working with Queensland Fire and Rescue Service and Natural Resources crews to contain the fire.
"Some back burning activity may be required this afternoon," the spokeswoman said.
"The fire does not present an immediate threat to property."
Asthmatics in Bongaree and surrounding areas are advised to stay indoors and keep their windows and doors closed. Residents will be affected by smoke and are advised to close windows and doors.
For more information about bushfire season preparation visit council's website at www.moretonbay.qld.gov.au or visit www.ruralfire.qld.gov.au to PREPARE.ACT.SURVIVE.
Residents who believe their home is under threat are advised to call Triple Zero (000) immediately.
Fire burning near homes after breaking containment line
EARLIER: A fire is believed to be burning near houses on Bribie Island after breaking containment lines.
Multiple crews are at the scene trying to get the blaze under control.
Few details are known but flames up to three metres high have been reported and witnesses say the area is thick with smoke.
Bribie Island High School is not far from the area.
Resident Kellie Baker said she could see the large cloud of smoke close to her home and heard many emergency service vehicle sirens in the area.
The smoke from the blaze can be seen from Sandstone Point.
Prepare to be impressed from the minute you enter this carefully designed home with high raked ceilings and an outstanding level of craftsmanship. Perfect for a...
- Ultimate coastal lifestyle awaits with the beach at your front door - Large immaculately presented 3 bedroom unit in central location - Open plan living space...
- 3 spacious bedrooms plus a study area - Luxurious ensuite & walk-in-robe to master - Large wrap-around balcony with stunning ocean views - Spacious living &...
Live the coastal lifestyle with Currimundi and Dicky Beaches just a few hundred metres down the road. This is a first floor unit in the rear of the complex and...
- 1 spacious bedroom - Luxurious bathroom with spa bath - Spacious balcony with sensational views of the Pumicestone Passage, Bribie Island, Caloundra city & the...
- 3 bedrooms - Luxurious ensuite with spa bath, plus main bathroom and separate powder-room - Spacious living & dining rooms - Large balcony with magnificent ocean...
- 2 spacious bedrooms - Luxurious ensuite with spa bath plus main bathroom - Large balcony with Pumicestone Passage, Bribie Island & ocean views - Fully...
- 2 spacious bedrooms - Ensuite plus second bathroom - Large wrap-around balcony with magnificent views of Kings Beach, Bribie Island, Glass House Mountains and...
- 3 bedrooms - Luxury ensuite plus main bathroom - Large closed-in balcony with spectacular panoramic views of Caloundra City and the deep blue ocean - Spacious...
- 3 spacious bedrooms plus study - Luxury ensuite & main bathroom plus powder-room - Large living & dining areas plus family-room - Huge wrap-around terrace with...
Join the Community.
Get your local news, your way.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.