AS IPSWICH braces to hit a scorching 37 degrees next week,, don't forget to think of your four-legged friend sweltering outside.
RSPCA Queensland spokesman Michael Beatty said animals left in the backyard must also be able to access shelter and water and warned that owners need to be aware of the dangers.
"Keep at least two to three containers of water in case one gets knocked over," Mr Beatty said. "If your pet has no shade or water it will die. If a dog is suffering from heat stress it's imperative to get its temperature down as quickly as possible. Hose them with water and place ice packs on their head and stomach."
Queensland animal hospital BVSC founder Dr Rod Straw said even everyday activities could cause significant stress on animals during periods of extreme heat.
"There are some simple techniques that can be used to prevent your pets from suffering from heat stroke and heat exhaustion," Dr Straw said. "Never leave animals locked in a car, even with the windows down. Exercise animals during the cooler times of the day. Always carry water and a foldable water bowl when on walks and hikes with your dog and clip animals with long, thick coats.
"Put non-zinc containing sunscreen on your animal's nose as it's very susceptible to sunburn. Most animals will lick this off so keeping out of the sun is still the best prevention."
Australian Veterinary Association spokesman David Neck urged owners to look out for signs such as lethargy, excessive panting, thickened saliva or breathing problems.
- Today: Mostly fine, with a possible shower, 33 degrees
- Tomorrow: Fine, 34 degrees
- Saturday: Fine, mostly sunny, 35 degrees
- Sunday: Fine, mostly sunny, 36 degrees
- Monday: Showers, 36 degrees
- Tuesday: Showers, 37 degrees
- Wednesday: Cooler, possible shower, 29 degrees
- Brick and tile duplex with more room than you would expect - 3 good size bedrooms with built in robes - The duplex also features 2 separate living areas ...
- Design your ultimate waterfront residence on this exceptional canal block - Highly desirable 20 mtr fronage - direct north aspect - All the benefits of...
- Custom designed to appease the fussiest of buyers with wonderful lake views - Extensive array of indoor/outdoor living areas & abundance light & space - 5...
Sick of the crowded hipster estates where you can hear your neighbour cough. Want to live where there is a quiet outlook and your nearest neighbour is at least...
Wow!! 20 Arista Court Bli Bli, what a find!! What a position and best of all what a great opportunity to get into this extremely desirable location in Bli Bli.
** Sorry Open Home Cancelled - Under Offer ** This property is perfect for both the investor or entry level owner, so close to the services that Nambour has to...
** Open Saturday 2-2.30pm ** Located in beautiful Maroochy River, just minutes walk to the proposed new P-12 Catholic School, the position is perfect. So secluded...
INSPECT SAT 10th October 4-4:45PM; THURS 15th October 4-4:45; SAT 17th October 4-4:45; SUNDAY 18TH AUCTION DAY View from 12:30. 9 acres just 2.6 km from CBD of...
Often regarded as one of Buderims premier acreage precinct's, Ebony Court and Greenwood Close are strategically located within easy walking distance to both...
Sitting right at the top of town, this unit has an ideal central Caloundra location. Shops, cafes, restaurants, bars and all the facilities of the city's CBD are...
Join the Community.
Get your local news, your way.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.