THE man shot dead by police in rural NSW on the weekend reportedly went on a violent rampage after being refused entry to a spiritual festival celebrating "peace, love and harmony".
Ryan Pringle, the son of rugby league player and Kirra resident Neil Pringle, allegedly punched, kicked and threatened at least 10 members of alternative lifestyle network Rainbow Family Australia with a knife and crossbow.
When police arrived at the Rocky River property near Tenterfield on Sunday, they were also allegedly threatened with the weapons.
Several shots were fired and Pringle died at the scene.
In a joint statement released late Monday on the network's website Rainbow Lickorish, witnesses expressed their gratitude to the officers who had come to their aid.
They said Pringle held the group hostage, produced a "large knife", hit three people and continued to threaten members with acts of violence.
The alarm was reportedly raised when a few members managed to escape and get to Tenterfield to alert police.
"He demanded of the police to place their weapons on the hood of their police vehicle," the statement read
"As he continued his approach the officers continually pleaded that he drop his crossbow and that they did not want him to get hurt.
"We tried to save him with CPR - we bought him back to live twice.
"His pulse faded minutes after the shooting, but we continued to try to revive him.
"We mourn his loss, even though we did not know him and he was not accustomed to our ways. His threats were signs of attention seeking but they were very real nonetheless."
According to the website "Rainbow Gatherings are temporary intentional communities, typically held in outdoor settings, and espousing and practising ideals of peace, love, harmony, freedom and community".
The festival is plugged as being drug and car-free and activities include drum playing, meditation, dancing, "visioning the future" and healing workshops.
Detectives from Sydney's Homicide Squad have been flown to the site to assist a Critical Incident Response Team with the investigation.
A report will be prepared for the coroner.
- 1 bedroom penthouse - Luxury bathroom - Balcony with magnificent views, overlooking the Pumicestone Passage towards Golden Beach and the Glasshouse Mountains ...
- Serious sellers are moving on, secure a piece of Sunshine Coast paradise - Presents as new, 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms & generous home office - Extensive array of...
- 2 spacious bedrooms - Luxury ensuite plus main bathroom with spa bath - Refurbished with elegance - Spacious living area adjoins a large balcony with sensational...
- Solidly constructed 2 bedroom home - Positioned on a 627m2 block at the end of a cul de sac - You may wish to renovate or rebuild in this prime position - Newly...
- Designed with thought and quality - Comprising of 4 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms - Centrally located kitchen with granite bench tops - Open plan with three separate...
- Positioned on an elevated battle axe block of 1013 sqm - Comprising of 5 good size bedrooms 2 of which have ensuites - Ocean views can be enjoyed whilst relaxing...
Situated just an easy stroll to choice of two beaches and Caloundra CBD is this top floor furnished apartment with investment and lifestyle options galore. With...
- 1 spacious bedroom - Luxurious bathroom plus spa bath - Magnificent views of Pumicestone Passage, Bribie Island, Caloundra City & the ocean from a spacious...
- Wonderful for any investment portfolio or entry level buying - Stylish modern home featuring 4 large bedrooms & 2 bathrooms - Modern Kitchen, lots of storage &...
You won't get a better opportunity to enter the market. This is entry level living in a convenient location. Immaculately presented with nothing to do but move in.
Join the Community.
Get your local news, your way.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.