A CARETAKER has kicked down a Mount Mee property's front door to save his employer's life during a house fire.
Property owner Paul Homfray was watching TV at his Tidwell Rd home about midday on Friday when he noticed plastic blinds at the rear of the house were on fire.
"I tried to put the fire out," Mr Homfray said.
"It was hopeless because all the blinds were alight… they were melting, dropping on the floor, setting the floor alight.
"I ran into the bedroom to get a phone to ring 000."
With flames spreading through the property, caretaker Michael Rogers kicked the front door down, allowing Mr Homfray the chance to crawl to safety.
"I only just got out," Mr Homfray said.
"I lost everything… lost all my fishing gear, lost all my guns."
Fire crews from Mount Mee, Woodford and Caboolture were on the scene soon after receiving the 000 call, but nothing could be done to save the old Queenslander.
Just hours after the blaze began, all that remained of the home was its chimney and the front stairs.
Caboolture Fire Station officer Daniel Rasmussen said crews had to contend with ammunition exploding and the risk of gas cylinders coming into contact with flames as they battled the blaze.
"When we arrived it was fully involved," he said.
"It was an old Queenslander timber house on a very windy hill so that didn't help at all.
"He [Mr Homfray) was very close, apparently once it started it spread very quickly so he's very lucky."
Mr Rasmussen said the cause of the fire was yet to be established, however he said it was a timely reminder for residents to check their smoke alarms.
Mr Homfray said the house was moved to Mount Mee from Brisbane about 25 years ago.
It was insured, however years of irreplaceable possessions, including a grand piano and a recently built kitchen were lost.
Despite the ordeal, Mr Homfray joked he would now "build a brick house" after the insurance claims was processed.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.