JASON "Nugget" Cooper has had just six fights, but he is already challenging for the Australian super-bantamweight title for the second time.
Cooper will fight Roberto Lerio on Friday, November 30 in a rematch of their battle from earlier in the year.
The Deception Bay boxer lost in a tight points decision which left Cooper and coach Damian Smith shaking their heads.
"We're still to this day trying to work out how he lost that one," Smith said.
"The experience level he's got now (will be the difference).
"Last time Rob had 29 fights coming in and Jason only had four. He's had some hard fights now."
Those fights came against experienced fighters Ricky Escaner and WBF international champion Emanuel Micallef.
The 21-year-old took down Micallef over eight rounds in September to defend his Queensland featherweight title.
He comes into the rematch against Lerio full of confidence after a solid block of training thanks to his sponsors Lifestyle Physiques, J Cook Designs Tattoos and Joey's Mobile Mechanic.
"He's basically got the next five weeks off work," Smith said.
"He's been training full-time, three times a day."
It's been taking its toll on Cooper's body but he thought it would pay off.
"I'm sore every day, so I'm just trying to train and recover," he said.
"I'm pretty confident.
"Hopefully I'll be able to bring home the title."
The fight, which will get the full Fox Sports Live treatment, is a huge highlight in Cooper's career but also means a lot for his small club.
Cooper is the first Deception Bay Boxing Club fighter to make it to a stage as big as this, having been at the club "from pretty much day dot", according to Smith.
"We're looking at figthing a little bit smarter this time," Smith said.
"Jason got his eardrum busted in about the sixth round and ended up with two busted eardrums.
"It's going to be an awesome event, especially if he can pull it off and win the Australian title."
The $50 event tickets are limited and a $15 supporter bus will be leaving from the Deception Bay Bowls Club to the Mansfield Tavern venue.
Bookings are essential. Contact Damian Smith on 0410647975.
- Stunning 3 bedroom beach front unit with panoramic views - Master bedroom complete with built in robes and spa bath - Designer 2 pac kitchen with ample bench and...
This is the perfect opportunity to secure a rare piece of land located in the charming district of Glenview. An established turf farm has recently subdivided one...
- 3 spacious bedrooms - Luxurious ensuite - Split level contemporary living - Fully renovated with style and elegance - Breathtaking ocean views from spacious...
- One of the best renovations you will come across - Thoughtfully designed with flair and craftsmanship - Comprising of 4 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms - Theatre room...
- With genuine reasons for sale the home represents outstanding value - Quality & elevated 4 bedroom home with sparkling ocean views - Cleverly designed & split...
- This adorable property is priced to sell today - North Lakes best buy on offer. Seller is 100% committed to selling - Outstanding entry level buying, would make...
- 2 spacious bedrooms - Luxury two-way bathroom with spa bath - Spectacular beach and ocean views overlooking the Main Beach to Bribie & Moreton Islands ...
- 3 bedrooms - Luxury ensuite with spa bath plus large main bathroom - Spacious living & dining areas - 2 large balconies with breathtaking panoramic views of the...
- Architecturally designed home with spacious open plan - Main house complete with 4 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms - Fully self contained 2 bedroom guest house with...
- 2 bedrooms - Luxury ensuite with spa bath - Large balcony with spectacular ocean views - Spacious living & dining areas - Fully furnished - Ducted...
Join the Community.
Get your local news, your way.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.