Menu
News

Child groomer to be released from jail

A MAN with a history of grooming children and who once tried to abduct a boy from an Ipswich skate park will be released from jail tomorrow.

Ryan James Fuller will spend the next five years under strict supervision.

At a Brisbane Supreme Court hearing on Monday, Fuller sat in the defendant's dock wearing a polo shirt and shorts when he was told he'd be freed.

Under dangerous prisoner laws the Attorney-General can apply to extend an offender's detention or impose strict supervision conditions on them when they are released.

Fuller, 40, has previously breached supervision orders after being released from jail, including when he tried to abduct a 12-year-old boy from a skate park near Ipswich in 2010.

He was also caught with having contact with a mother of a young girl; contact which he did not report to Corrective Services, which was one of his conditions.

He also breached supervision orders on another two occasions, the court heard.

Psychiatrists determined Fuller would be at a low to moderate risk of reoffending if he was placed on a supervision order, the court heard.

Fuller's initial supervision order was due to expire in 2017 but lawyers representing the Attorney-General argued it should be extended.

But Fuller's lawyers argued a proposed extension should be decided when the 2017 order expired.

In court, psychiatrist Andrew Aboud said Fuller's intellectual difficulties; his sexual deviance and pedophile inclinations meant he should be on a supervision order.

Dr Aboud said supervision for five to ten years would be appropriate.

Supreme Court Justice John Bond added an extra three years on top of Fuller's original supervision order which was due to expire in 2017.

Fuller will be on strict conditions until 2020. The court heard he would stay at a half-way house when released.

- APN NEWSDESK

Topics:  child sex offender court crime ipswich


Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Footy dad: I can hold my head high

Geoffrey Whittaker says it's 'awesome' to see justice served after enduring a trial this week. He was found not guilty of assault.

'I'm glad I'm not the one that looks like the idiot any more'

Footy fight: Coach accused of spiteful, 'vicious' act

Geoffrey James Whittaker, who has pleaded not guilty to assault charges at a football carnival.

'Sometimes it's appropriate to defend oneself by striking first'

Dad 'head-butted' footy coach during kids' rugby carnival

Geoffrey Whittaker has pleaded not guilty two assault charges. The offences are alleged to have occurred during a children's football carnival in 2016.

Geoffrey James Whittaker pleads not guilty to two assault charges

Local Partners