Menu
Sport

Sexual harassment inquiry fails to interview alleged victim

The Football Medical Association said Wednesday Sept. 23, 2015 that it is
The Football Medical Association said Wednesday Sept. 23, 2015 that it is "extremely disappointed" that Eva Carneiro will not be resuming her full duties as Chelsea's first team doctor. AP Photo - Paul White

FOOTBALL: Eva Carneiro, the former Chelsea first-team doctor, has broken her silence on the dispute with Jose Mourinho, severely criticising the Football Association for failing to interview her in the course of its investigation into whether she was the victim of alleged sexist abuse by the Chelsea manager.

In a statement that is a damning indictment of the FA's procedure on investigating such complaints, Carneiro reveals that the governing body did not even approach her to seek evidence before it exonerated Mourinho of any wrongdoing last week.

The original complaint, made by a member of the public, was that Mourinho used an abusive phrase, with a sexist element, in reference to Carneiro that was picked up by the touchline microphones during the Premier League game against Swansea City on August 8.

In a statement, Carneiro said the FA had ''chosen to ignore'' evidence. She said it also failed to act when she was the subject of sexist abuse from West Ham fans last season.

There was no suggestion in the statement that Carneiro believed she was the subject of abuse from Mourinho.

The case has become a problem for Chelsea, however, with the club and their manager appearing heavy-handed in their treatment of the doctor.

Mourinho again refused to discuss the matter at his weekly press conference on Friday.

Carneiro said: ''I was surprised to learn that the FA was allegedly investigating the incident of 8 August via the press. I was at no stage requested by the FA to make a statement. I wonder whether this might be the only formal investigation in this country where the evidence of the individuals involved in the incident was not considered relevant. Choosing to ignore some of the evidence will surely influence the outcome of the findings.

''Last season I had a similar experience at a game at West Ham FC, where I was subject to verbal abuse. Following complaints by the public, the FA produced a communication to the press saying there had been no sexist chanting during this game. At no time was I approached for a statement despite the fact that vile, unacceptable, sexually explicit abuse was clearly heard.

''It is incidents such as these and the lack of support from the football authorities that make it so difficult for women in the game."

Carneiro has since agreed to leave the club.

The FA said Carneiro could have been approached for evidence only if she had made a complaint about Mourinho's behaviour, but Carneiro's contract did not permit her to do that unless summoned.

- THE INDEPENDENT

Topics:  abuse editors picks fa cup inquiry sexual harassment


Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Footy dad: I can hold my head high

Geoffrey Whittaker says it's 'awesome' to see justice served after enduring a trial this week. He was found not guilty of assault.

'I'm glad I'm not the one that looks like the idiot any more'

Footy fight: Coach accused of spiteful, 'vicious' act

Geoffrey James Whittaker, who has pleaded not guilty to assault charges at a football carnival.

'Sometimes it's appropriate to defend oneself by striking first'

Dad 'head-butted' footy coach during kids' rugby carnival

Geoffrey Whittaker has pleaded not guilty two assault charges. The offences are alleged to have occurred during a children's football carnival in 2016.

Geoffrey James Whittaker pleads not guilty to two assault charges

Local Partners