Menu
News

Fewer cyclones predicted for 2015 - 16 season

FEWER cyclones have been forecast for the 2015-16 cyclone season, but the 'be prepared' message remains in place.

While the season begins officially on November 1, the Bureau of Meteorology (BOM) has indicated the current El Nino weather pattern in the Pacific Ocean is expected to reduce cyclone activity across northern Australia in the coming months.

Gladstone Region Mayor Gail Sellers urged residents not to become complacent with this news, but use the time for early preparation.

She noted how last year's Cyclone Marcia quickly intensified from a Category One to a massive system with unpredictability being our worst enemy, when it comes to weather.

"Experience shows our weather patterns are changing, but we welcome the Bureau's annual forecast as a guide to the season ahead," Councillor Sellers said.

"Being a prepared community is everyone's responsibility to reduce the chances of damage and disruption."

Other events are underway in the Region this week to reinforce that message as the cyclone season nears.

It's officially RACQ 'Get Ready Week' across Queensland where events and activities have been organised to promote public awareness about natural disaster preparation.

Further information is available here.

In the Discovery Coast area, posters and social media are spreading the word in high risk towns, while the Local Emergency Coordination Committees (LECCs) are also being promoted to residents.

There are three LECCs in the Gladstone Region: Baffle Creek catchment, Agnes Water/Seventeen Seventy and Boyne Valley.

The Agnes Water/Seventeen Seventy LECC is seeking expressions of interest from potential volunteers who could assist at a post event evacuation centre in the future.

Topics:  cyclone gladstone weather wildweather


Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Footy dad: I can hold my head high

Geoffrey Whittaker says it's 'awesome' to see justice served after enduring a trial this week. He was found not guilty of assault.

'I'm glad I'm not the one that looks like the idiot any more'

Footy fight: Coach accused of spiteful, 'vicious' act

Geoffrey James Whittaker, who has pleaded not guilty to assault charges at a football carnival.

'Sometimes it's appropriate to defend oneself by striking first'

Dad 'head-butted' footy coach during kids' rugby carnival

Geoffrey Whittaker has pleaded not guilty two assault charges. The offences are alleged to have occurred during a children's football carnival in 2016.

Geoffrey James Whittaker pleads not guilty to two assault charges

Local Partners