Menu
News

From melanoma to first-time mum

EXTRA SPECIAL: Megghan Holland survived  melanoma and has now given birth to her first son Archie.
EXTRA SPECIAL: Megghan Holland survived melanoma and has now given birth to her first son Archie. Luke Simmonds

LAST year may have felt like a dream to Megghan Holland after everything she's been through.

The 28-year-old was diagnosed with conjunctive melanoma when she was just 13, leading to the majority of her teenage years being spent in and out of hospital.

She battled the cancer for six years before having surgery to reconstruct a new eyelid from skin on her nose and a neck dissection to remove 55 lymph nodes.

Meg is now cancer free and beginning a new life with her firstborn Archie and newlywed husband Billy.

Archie was born in November and the three of them moved into their new dream home at Godwin Beach just a month later at Christmas time.

"It was emotional going into hospital because previous appointments weren't for anything good,” she said.

"I didn't enjoy going to hospital for appointments, but this time it was for a good thing.

"I always wanted kids and when he (Archie) finally came along it was really awesome.

"It puts the icing on the cake after getting married and it's really nice to be at home enjoying motherhood.”

Meg is now looking forward to getting back to her job as a part-time skin cancer clinic nurse.

She said she now knows all too well the importance of passing on knowledge about skin care and a healthy lifestyle to Archie.

"Because mine was a mutant gene, I'm worried my history will get passed down to him; he might have a higher risk because of me having it,” she said.

"I'm going to teach him to be sunsmart and all the simple things, but the biggest thing is to have a healthy lifestyle.

"The healthier I am, the better chance I have of staying healthy.”

Meg is gearing up for her second Bribie Island Melanoma March on March 18 from 7.30am at the foreshore near Crest Park and on Sylvan Beach Esp, Bellara.

Register or donate at melanoma.org.au.


Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Footy dad: I can hold my head high

Geoffrey Whittaker says it's 'awesome' to see justice served after enduring a trial this week. He was found not guilty of assault.

'I'm glad I'm not the one that looks like the idiot any more'

Footy fight: Coach accused of spiteful, 'vicious' act

Geoffrey James Whittaker, who has pleaded not guilty to assault charges at a football carnival.

'Sometimes it's appropriate to defend oneself by striking first'

Dad 'head-butted' footy coach during kids' rugby carnival

Geoffrey Whittaker has pleaded not guilty two assault charges. The offences are alleged to have occurred during a children's football carnival in 2016.

Geoffrey James Whittaker pleads not guilty to two assault charges

Local Partners