Menu
News

Shark repellent on the cards at shark attack summit

A SHARK summit being held at Taronga Zoo on Tuesday will review four technologies aimed at preventing shark attacks, the State Government has said.

In a statement, Primary Industries Minister Niall Blair said the summit would be attended by more than 70 of the world's top shark experts along with representatives of the Queensland and Western Australian governments.

The technologies to be discussed at the summit had been selected by an independent review into options that could be used in NSW, with the expectation they would be trialled this summer.

The technologies up for discussion included:

  • Electric deterrent barriers - Aquatek technology
  • Physical and visual barriers -  Eco Shark barriers, Bionic barriers and Aquarius barriers
  • Sonar technologies -  Cleverbuoy detection
  • Satellite and acoustic technology - tagging and real time tracking of tagged sharks.

MORE: A closer look at the technologies to be discussed

In the statement, Mr Blair said it was anticipated the government would need to trial a combination of technologies rather than relying on just one.

"Making our beaches safer is a top priority for the NSW Government that's why we are leaving no stone unturned to make sure we look at new and innovative ways to protect our beaches," Mr Blair said.

"The world's best scientists will be in Sydney this week to discuss a number of new technologies to be trialed in NSW waters, which will inform advice to the NSW Government on additional measures."

Topics:  editors picks niall blair shark attacks shark repellent


Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Footy dad: I can hold my head high

Geoffrey Whittaker says it's 'awesome' to see justice served after enduring a trial this week. He was found not guilty of assault.

'I'm glad I'm not the one that looks like the idiot any more'

Footy fight: Coach accused of spiteful, 'vicious' act

Geoffrey James Whittaker, who has pleaded not guilty to assault charges at a football carnival.

'Sometimes it's appropriate to defend oneself by striking first'

Dad 'head-butted' footy coach during kids' rugby carnival

Geoffrey Whittaker has pleaded not guilty two assault charges. The offences are alleged to have occurred during a children's football carnival in 2016.

Geoffrey James Whittaker pleads not guilty to two assault charges

Local Partners