News

Police search for illegal campers to determine cause of fire

Division commander inspector Paul Durston looks over a map of Bribie. Photo Vicki Wood / Caboolture News
Division commander inspector Paul Durston looks over a map of Bribie. Photo Vicki Wood / Caboolture News Vicki Wood

UPDATE Monday: THE bushfires that raged in Bribie Island bushland near White Patch last week are believed to have been started by an illegal campfire, which then spread to the forest.

Bribie Island Police Station officer-in-charge Senior Sergeant David Crawford-Raby is looking for information from the public about a campsite, including a cubby house or fort, in the block directly north of the Pacific Harbour golf course.

"There was a campfire lit there and that fire or other fires lit in the vicinity of the site are believed to be responsible," he said.

HQ Plantations manages all four forestry plantations on the island and lost hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of trees.

General manager of operations Steve Worley estimated "a couple of thousand" hectares had been burnt in total, including "a couple of hundred" hectares of plantation land.

A water bomber was called to control a small flare-up on Sunday but control of the fire has been handed over to HQ Plantations.

Small pockets of fire were burning on the island's western side on Monday but Mr Worley said it was under control.

Queensland Fire and Rescue Service Division commander inspector Paul Durston said despite the large area, no structures were damaged, not even a fence.

People with respiratory conditions are still advised to stay indoors, with windows closed and keep their medication close by as long as the fires burn.

What remained of the fire was under control on Monday morning and no QFRS crews were on scene.

The cause of the fire is under further investigation.

 

Check out our live blog of events earlier in the week here.

See Insp Durston explain the QFRS plan of attack here.

{% load video %}{% video_inline 16950 normal %}

{% load photogalleries %}{% photogallery_inline gallery=17613 align=left embed=yes %}

 

THE fire threat to homes on Bribie Island has eased but residents on the mainland have been urged to be on high alert for floating embers.

Fire crews will work this afternoon and into the night to force the huge blaze to burn west towards Pumicestone Passage and relative safety.

But with a wind change expected tomorrow, concerns have shifted to ensuring the blaze doesn't spread over the passage to the coastal suburbs of Toorbul, Donnybrook and Sandstone Point.

Queensland Fire and Rescue Service division commander Inspector Paul Durston said there was a chance floating embers could cause spot fires as far as 1.5km inland.

"The area of concern is the smoke plume that is travelling across this passage to the mainland," he said.

"We have fire crews in those areas, if anybody has any concerns, dial 000 and we will respond accordingly.

"We're patrolling at the moment to ensure that any of that type of material that is carried across the passage, if they are embers that we jump on them quickly."

The smoke itself has also become a concern as it spreads inland, cutting visibility on roads and posing health risks.

A Department of Community Services spokesman advised people with respiratory conditions to stay indoors, keep windows closed and keep their medication close by.

Assistant Police Minister Steve Dickson made the trip to Bribie to see the devastation first hand.

He praised the work of the dozens of volunteer firefighters who worked tirelessly to protect homes.

"We've got some extremely dedicated people who work for fire and emergency services out here today doing an outstanding job," he said.

"These jackets are extremely hot to work in; the weather is extremely hot and remember these people are looking after all Queenslanders."

He urged people to do "whatever it takes" to stop the spot fires reigniting on the mainland.

"We are all there in this thing together and we just want to make sure that it doesn't spread," he said.

The cause of the fire is still unknown but it is believed to have started in the Welsby swamp area, just north of the Pacific Harbour Golf and Country Club course.


Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Warning: damaging winds and heavy rain, Caboolture

Queensland Police have issued a warning of thunderstorms in Caboolture.

STORM warning for Caboolture area.

Girl, 9, found safe and well

A nine-year-old girl is missing from Bellmere. Photo: Queensland Police Service

Residents urged to check their yards

Local Partners

Hiring someone with a disability is easy as drinking coffee

CPL'S Mylestones Employment is offering free coffee to talk about your business and the benefits of hiring someone with a disability.

How Stay at Home Mum blogger Jody Allen struck it big

Jody Allen and Walt Collins will co-host the Seven Network's Stay at Home Mum television series from April.

Jody Allen's star continues to rise at incredible speed

Comedy with extra cheese

Paul Fenech is taking his TV series Fat Pizza on the road for a series of live shows.

Fat Pizza and Housos are coming to town

One of the top five car collections in the world

A 1950 Alvis TB14 Roadster is a highlight in the museum.

Gosford home to largest, privately-owned classic car collection.

Why Hollywood’s siding with Brad Pitt over Angelina Jolie

TOWARD the end of last month’s Golden Globes ceremony, the producer of the nominated drama Moonlight made a surprise onstage appearance: Brad Pitt.

Tensions high at pointy end of MKR's round two

Things are really heating up on My Kitchen Rules.

Games are being played around the My Kitchen Rules table

Jungle Jay sent packing from I'm a Celebrity

I'm A Celebrity ... Get Me Out Here! contestant Jay Laga'aia with Keira.

BIG friendly giant Jay Laga'aia has been eliminated from I'm A Celeb

Carson Kressley brings 'camp' to I'm a Celebrity jungle

"I am not all Park Avenue and daffodils” ... Carson Kressley.

Meet the "campest” campmate to star on I'm a Celebrity.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi mystery already solved

FILE- This undated file photo provided by Disney shows Daisey Ridley as Rey, left, and John Boyega as Finn, in a scene from the film, \"Star Wars: The Force Awakens.\" Hasbro said it is changing its Star Wars Monopoly set after an 8-year-old girl became upset that Rey, the movie's female heroine, was not included as a figure along with Darth Vader and Kylo Ren. (Disney/Lucasfilm via AP, File) MANDATORY CREDIT

A key mystery surrounding the title of episode eight has been solved

Kids' game "full of f**king paedophiles" according to dad

A mortified dad has expressed serious concerns over an online game

Lisa Marie Presley's ex caught with child pics: court

Lisa Marie Presley, at right, and her husband, Michael Lockwood back in 2010. FILE

Lisa Marie, 49, claimed she was left “sick to her stomach”

Expert: Why renters, home buyers may struggle

Matusik Property Insights director Michael Matusik.

What's next for the city's housing market

Massive seaside development of 3200 lots

DESIRABLE LIFESTYLE: The masterplan for the proposed Elliott Heads Estate.

"There's nothing else left along the coastline of Queensland now"

Potential home buyers punished for doing the 'right thing'

Should I go to university or buy a house?

50 more high rise buildings planned for Brisbane CBD

Height limits have been scrapped for Brisbane CBD

800,000 more people expected to work in city over next 20 years

New suburb in the crosshairs of Coast vandals

UNDER WRAPS: Graffiti on art installations at the entrance to the newly opened Bells Creek Arterial Road has been covered up.

Vandal rechristens Stockland as something less than complimentary

Ready to SELL your property?

Post Your Ad Here!