Menu
News

Man accused of firing shots to warn children

A MAN has faced court after he allegedly fired a number of warning shots and detained three juveniles, assaulting two, he'd caught fishing off his Slade Point property.

Christopher John Rek, of Slade Point, appeared in the Mackay Magistrates Court yesterday on six charges in relation to the incident, which allegedly occurred on Sunday.

The 53-year-old is charged with dangerous conduct with a weapon, three counts of deprivation of liberty and two counts of common assault.

The assault charges are in relation to two of the three juveniles.

Legal Aid Queensland duty solicitor Chris Schrader made an application for bail for Rek, who was in custody.

Prosecutor Michael Ball objected to bail, however Magistrate Damien Dwyer granted the application.

A police spokeswoman said police had received a phone call from a man about midday on Sunday accusing children of trespassing on a Keeleys Rd property at Slade Point. The children had been fishing at the property.

It is alleged the man had fired "an unknown number" of warning shots to scare off the juveniles.

It is also alleged that when the juveniles tried to flee, the man "rounded them up," assaulted two, and told them to stay put until police arrived.

Police took the man to the Mackay Police Station and about 6pm he was arrested and charged with two counts of common assault, three counts of deprivation of liberty and one count of dangerous conduct with a weapon against three juveniles.

He spent one night in custody.

Quick facts

The defendant:

  • Name: Christopher John Rek
  • Age: 53
  • Charges: Two counts of common assault, three counts of deprivation of liberty and one count of dangerous conduct with a weapon against three juvenile victims.

Topics:  editors picks mackay mackay crime mackay magistrates court


Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Footy dad: I can hold my head high

Geoffrey Whittaker says it's 'awesome' to see justice served after enduring a trial this week. He was found not guilty of assault.

'I'm glad I'm not the one that looks like the idiot any more'

Footy fight: Coach accused of spiteful, 'vicious' act

Geoffrey James Whittaker, who has pleaded not guilty to assault charges at a football carnival.

'Sometimes it's appropriate to defend oneself by striking first'

Dad 'head-butted' footy coach during kids' rugby carnival

Geoffrey Whittaker has pleaded not guilty two assault charges. The offences are alleged to have occurred during a children's football carnival in 2016.

Geoffrey James Whittaker pleads not guilty to two assault charges

Local Partners