Menu
News

Man released on bail for domestic violence offences

A MAN charged with domestic violence offences has been granted release from jail and will stay with his mother near Bundaberg.

The father of five, who cannot be named for legal reasons, applied to be released on bail at Brisbane Supreme Court on Friday and it was granted with several conditions.

He is accused of contravening a domestic violence order but the circumstances are unclear.

The court heard it was committed against his partner.

On Friday Justice Debra Mullins said it was "very serious" when allegations of violence were committed in a domestic situation.

She said she was cautious about granting the man bail because his application indicated "a lack of insight about the seriousness of his failure to comply with previous bail orders and domestic violence order".

Justice Mullins also said the man was under the impression that his former partner would not be continuing with her complaints against him, but this was not true.

Justice Mullins said his mother would support him if he was released from jail.

There were allegations the man had been violent towards his mother, but his mother told lawyers this was false.

Justice Mullins released the man on bail with conditions including he be drug tested, report to Bundaberg police station twice a week, not contact his former partner and use a third party to arrange to see his children.

Justice Mullins said if he was not released on bail there was a risk he would spend more time in jail than he would receive if found guilty of the offences.

- APN NEWSDESK

Topics:  bundaberg court crime domestic violence terrorathome


Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Footy dad: I can hold my head high

Geoffrey Whittaker says it's 'awesome' to see justice served after enduring a trial this week. He was found not guilty of assault.

'I'm glad I'm not the one that looks like the idiot any more'

Footy fight: Coach accused of spiteful, 'vicious' act

Geoffrey James Whittaker, who has pleaded not guilty to assault charges at a football carnival.

'Sometimes it's appropriate to defend oneself by striking first'

Dad 'head-butted' footy coach during kids' rugby carnival

Geoffrey Whittaker has pleaded not guilty two assault charges. The offences are alleged to have occurred during a children's football carnival in 2016.

Geoffrey James Whittaker pleads not guilty to two assault charges

Local Partners