Menu
News

Mother charged with child porn offences refused bail

A Mackay region woman, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, has been charged with using a carriage service to transmit child pornography and four counts of indecent treatment of a child.
A Mackay region woman, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, has been charged with using a carriage service to transmit child pornography and four counts of indecent treatment of a child. Pexels

A MACKAY mother has been refused bail after allegedly filming a naked young relative in compromising positions and distributing child porn.

The woman, aged in her 30s, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, has been charged with using a carriage service to transmit child pornography and four counts of indecent treatment of a child. The court was told the five offences occurred between May 1, 2016 and March 6, 2017.

The woman faced Mackay Magistrates Court on Wednesday, applying for bail through her defence solicitor, Daniel Guerin.

Magistrate Nerida Wilson told the court it was alleged the child, who was aged under 12, had been photographed and filmed by the woman.

She said the woman also was accused of sending video and photographic material to a "male person" on or about March 6.

During the bail hearing, Mr Guerin said his client had no criminal history and there was no suggestion she wouldn't comply with court orders relating to any bail.

He said if granted bail the woman could be restricted access to children, have no access to the internet and would report to police when necessary.

Mr Guerin also told the court the woman would be at a low risk of offending or of not attending court while on bail.

Prosecutor Sheena Hayes told the court bail was opposed by police.

Ms Wilson said she had considered the circumstances and found the woman at an unacceptable risk of offending, of endangering the welfare of the child and of influencing witnesses.

She refused bail and remanded the woman in custody.

Topics:  child porn indecent treatment mackay mackay magistrates court photos videos woman


Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Footy dad: I can hold my head high

Geoffrey Whittaker says it's 'awesome' to see justice served after enduring a trial this week. He was found not guilty of assault.

'I'm glad I'm not the one that looks like the idiot any more'

Footy fight: Coach accused of spiteful, 'vicious' act

Geoffrey James Whittaker, who has pleaded not guilty to assault charges at a football carnival.

'Sometimes it's appropriate to defend oneself by striking first'

Dad 'head-butted' footy coach during kids' rugby carnival

Geoffrey Whittaker has pleaded not guilty two assault charges. The offences are alleged to have occurred during a children's football carnival in 2016.

Geoffrey James Whittaker pleads not guilty to two assault charges

Local Partners