MP accuses Lockyer mayor of going MIA during disaster

Lockyer Mayor Steve Jones says he slept in his office for weeks after the 2011 Grantham floods.
Lockyer Mayor Steve Jones says he slept in his office for weeks after the 2011 Grantham floods. Derek Barry

THE Lockyer MP has accused Mayor Steve Jones of going missing during the 2011 Grantham floods.

Ian Rickuss told Queensland Parliament police had to search for the Lockyer Valley Regional Council mayor because the CEO could not contact him.

Mr Rickuss also said a police assistant commissioner had to ask Cr Jones to leave a public meeting and the mayor could not chair a local disaster management group meeting.

Councillor Jones questioned why Mr Rickuss did not make the comments public if the MP believed they were the truth, rather than hide behind parliamentary privilege.

The mayor said he slept in his office for weeks after the disaster and the only reason police would look for him was if his mobile phone was jammed with phone calls.

Cr Jones said police did not throw him out of a meeting, but he had a heated discussion with a police officer over when locals should return to Grantham.

He said he believed residents should wait to return home with social workers and in more hygienic conditions, against the officer's view they could return immediately.

Mr Rickuss again condemned the inquiry, saying it most likely cost more than $5 million.

He said Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk bowed to media pressure for another commission as many people in his electorate believed the inquiry was a waste of money.


Topics:  2011 floods grantham floods lockyer valley steve jones

Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Footy dad: I can hold my head high

Geoffrey Whittaker says it's 'awesome' to see justice served after enduring a trial this week. He was found not guilty of assault.

'I'm glad I'm not the one that looks like the idiot any more'

Footy fight: Coach accused of spiteful, 'vicious' act

Geoffrey James Whittaker, who has pleaded not guilty to assault charges at a football carnival.

'Sometimes it's appropriate to defend oneself by striking first'

Dad 'head-butted' footy coach during kids' rugby carnival

Geoffrey Whittaker has pleaded not guilty two assault charges. The offences are alleged to have occurred during a children's football carnival in 2016.

Geoffrey James Whittaker pleads not guilty to two assault charges

Local Partners