Menu
News

Murder-accused wants to appear in court when case is heard

MURDER-accused John Peros has made an application to be present in court while an application to cross examine 10 witnesses is made.

Peros was arrested and charged with the murder of Shandee Blackburn in September last year. He is also charged with one count of robbery.

Shandee was killed while walking home from Harrup Park Country Club on February 9, 2013.

Her body was discovered on Boddington St.

Peros, 33, instructed his solicitor to make an application for him to be present in the Mackay court house for the application and the committal, the Mackay Magistrates Court was told today.

Police prosecutor Sergeant Sabine Scott said there was no strong objection to Peros appearing in person, but there were things to consider such as safety including Peros' safety and that of others as well as the cost to bring him to Mackay.

Peros has been held in custody since his arrest, which ended an 18-month man hunt for Shandee's alleged killer.

Magistrate Damien Dwyer said if Peros came to court he wouldn't be sitting at the bar table he'd be in the dock.

Peros' solicitor told the court his client specifically made instructions to make this application to appear in court.

There were 10 witnesses subject to the application, four of who were known to Peros, the court was told.

There might be a situation where Peros may need to provide instructions, his solicitor argued.

Mr Dwyer said he was against this application in relation to Peros appearing for an application to cross examine witnesses, but said there might be more merit regarding the actual committal.

The application to appear was denied and a video link would be required. The matter is set down for mid October.

Topics:  court mackay murder shandee blackburn


Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Footy dad: I can hold my head high

Geoffrey Whittaker says it's 'awesome' to see justice served after enduring a trial this week. He was found not guilty of assault.

'I'm glad I'm not the one that looks like the idiot any more'

Footy fight: Coach accused of spiteful, 'vicious' act

Geoffrey James Whittaker, who has pleaded not guilty to assault charges at a football carnival.

'Sometimes it's appropriate to defend oneself by striking first'

Dad 'head-butted' footy coach during kids' rugby carnival

Geoffrey Whittaker has pleaded not guilty two assault charges. The offences are alleged to have occurred during a children's football carnival in 2016.

Geoffrey James Whittaker pleads not guilty to two assault charges

Local Partners