Menu
Sport

‘Captain’ Gray out of AFLX

Tom Rockliff and Robbie Gray during pre-season training at Alberton Oval. Picture: Ben Macmahon/AAP
Tom Rockliff and Robbie Gray during pre-season training at Alberton Oval. Picture: Ben Macmahon/AAP

THE AFL clubs' commitment to the new AFLX format has again come under scrutiny after Port Adelaide has withdrawn star player Robbie Gray because of hip injury from tonight's Hindmarsh Stadium event.

Gray was set to captain the club in his first game since overcoming cancer last year before he and a string of other high-profile names were late scratchings on the eve of the tournament.

Former Demon Jack Watts will captain in his presence.

Power fitness coach Ian McKeown said Gray reported a sore adductor after training on Tuesday.

Robbie Gray has withdrawn from Thursday night’s AFLX tournament. Picture: AAP Image/Ben Macmahon
Robbie Gray has withdrawn from Thursday night’s AFLX tournament. Picture: AAP Image/Ben Macmahon

"We assessed him again this morning and, given the time of year and his importance for the season ahead, we decided not to risk him tonight," McKeown said.

Gray will be joined by Tom Clurey, Todd Marshall, Jasper Pittard and Trent McKenzie on the sidelines after they were all included in an extended squad earlier this week.

Football manager Chris Davies said the choice of off-season signing Jack Watts to lead the side - the first time he represents the Power - had been a logical choice. "Jack's really excited by the opportunity," Davies said.

"It's a unique honour for him to be captaining Port Adelaide in his first official game wearing our jumper.

"Jack is the most experienced player in our AFLX squad and has demonstrated leadership skills across his first pre-season here at the club so he is a logical replacement for Robbie."

Gray and the other players are all said to be in the selection frame for Port Adelaide's opening JLT game against West Coast at Perth's Leederville Oval on Sunday week.

Topics:  aflx port adelaide power robbie gray


Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Footy dad: I can hold my head high

Geoffrey Whittaker says it's 'awesome' to see justice served after enduring a trial this week. He was found not guilty of assault.

'I'm glad I'm not the one that looks like the idiot any more'

Footy fight: Coach accused of spiteful, 'vicious' act

Geoffrey James Whittaker, who has pleaded not guilty to assault charges at a football carnival.

'Sometimes it's appropriate to defend oneself by striking first'

Dad 'head-butted' footy coach during kids' rugby carnival

Geoffrey Whittaker has pleaded not guilty two assault charges. The offences are alleged to have occurred during a children's football carnival in 2016.

Geoffrey James Whittaker pleads not guilty to two assault charges

Local Partners