AT 4.05pm this afternoon, the Bureau of Meteorology issued a severe thunderstorm warning for South East Queensland including for parts of the Moreton Bay Region with potential for damaging winds.
The Bureau of Meteorology warns that, at 4:05 pm, severe thunderstorms were detected on weather radar near Beenleigh, Upper Brookfield, Mount Nebo, Highvale, the NSW border and Wacol.
These thunderstorms are moving towards the east. They are forecast to affect Albany Creek, Brisbane CBD and Boondall by 4:35 pm.
Damaging winds are possible.
The next warning is due to be issued at 5:05 pm.
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services advises you should:
- Move your car under cover or away from trees.
- Secure loose outdoor items.
- Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees.
- Avoid using the telephone during a thunderstorm.
- Beware of fallen trees and powerlines.
- For emergency assistance contact the SES on 132 500.
Stay tuned to local media outlets for the latest weather updates. Log onto the weather bureau's website to assist in monitor your local conditions. You can view weather radar images and rainfall gauge and river height information at www.bom.gov.au/qld/flood , weather forecasts at www.bom.gov.au/qld/forecasts and warnings at www.bom.gov.au/qld/warnings
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.