THE closure of Veraison restaurant does not mean the Ruthven St site is a "graveyard for restaurants", according to the building's leasing agent.
The restaurant, which closed on Monday, was the fourth in eight years to cease operation from the premises located on the ground floor of Toowoomba Central Plaza Apartment Hotel.
Colliers International managing director Dan Dwan learnt of the closure through media.
"I did meet with a representative of Veraison who indicated that there were some financial pressures outside the business," he said.
"They had been a long-established business that moved to a sizeable premise ... from what's been indicated to me there's been some external factors that led to this beside the actual location.
"It's a well established restaurant and we're sorry to see it go."
Toowoomba residents were shocked, even devastated, to hear of its closure.
Others said the location was simply living up to its notorious repute.
The Ruthven St address was first home to Swish Wine Bar and Restaurant which was renamed Campari Bar in 2009. It was replaced by Olive Branch Lounge Bar and Restaurant in 2010 before becoming Veraison in 2015.
Veraison had the swiftest exit, lasting less than three months after nine years on Margaret St.
Yesterday, the building's dark windows were lined in signs that read "closed due to economic conditions".
COMMUNITY REACTS ONLINE
- George Helon: The city end of Ruthven Street is, and will always be a cursed and ill-fated economic zone because of the decision of the then TCC to erect those upside obelisks, which anyone with knowledge of esoteric matters will tell you, is akin to sticking needles in a voodoo doll. Time somebody destroyed those eyesores!
- Vicki Lynette Trunks: Wow, was talking to someone who worked there a few weeks ago and they said how well it was going.
- Angela N Jason Gooderham: That's a shame! It was a great restaurant.
- Sue Judd: Should have stayed in Margaret St. That building is cursed, but foresight is a wonderful thing.
- Susan Jordan: Heartbreaking, quite easily my favourite place to eat. Great food and great service.
- Jenny Zimmerle: Another business in Toowoomba gone
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.