Tragedy strikes again in early morning fatal highway crash

A 42-YEAR-OLD Riverview man has died and a 22-year-old man is critically injured following the second horrific traffic accident on Ipswich roads in as many days.

Police are unsure what caused the driver of a Holden utility to cross onto the incorrect side of the Cunningham Highway at Flinders View about 6am yesterday.

The man's ute collided with a red BMW sedan headed towards Brisbane.

Inspector Keith McDonald said that due to the angle of the median strip, the ute was airborne as it entered the Brisbane-bound lanes.

FATAL: The scene of the crash on the Cunningham Highway yesterday.
FATAL: The scene of the crash on the Cunningham Highway yesterday. Rob Williams

It then slammed into the driver's side door of the sedan, which was travelling in the left lane at the time.

It was estimated that both vehicles were travelling about 100kmh at the moment of impact.


Emergency services personnel tried for 45 minutes to revive the ute driver. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Police later confirmed the deceased man was Scott McKlaren, of Riverview.

"QAS and QFES personnel worked feverishly to save both drivers," Insp McDonald said.

"The BMW driver was trapped due to the damage to his vehicle and firefighters had to use the jaws of life and other cutting implements to get him out.

"While all that was going on, the paramedics were working to ensure he didn't sustain further injuries."

The driver of the sedan was taken to the Princess Alexandra Hospital with extensive injuries to his arms, legs and body.

He was in a critical but stable condition while awaiting surgery yesterday afternoon. The highway remained closed in both directions for several hours as the forensic crash unit investigated.

Topics:  crash cunningham highway fatal crash police traffic

Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Footy dad: I can hold my head high

Geoffrey Whittaker says it's 'awesome' to see justice served after enduring a trial this week. He was found not guilty of assault.

'I'm glad I'm not the one that looks like the idiot any more'

Footy fight: Coach accused of spiteful, 'vicious' act

Geoffrey James Whittaker, who has pleaded not guilty to assault charges at a football carnival.

'Sometimes it's appropriate to defend oneself by striking first'

Dad 'head-butted' footy coach during kids' rugby carnival

Geoffrey Whittaker has pleaded not guilty two assault charges. The offences are alleged to have occurred during a children's football carnival in 2016.

Geoffrey James Whittaker pleads not guilty to two assault charges

Local Partners