Menu
News

Aus Post: Working around dead colleague 'proper process'

The Australia Post building in Nambour, where a man died on Thursday March 9.
The Australia Post building in Nambour, where a man died on Thursday March 9. Warren Lynam

AUSTRALIA Post has advised "all proper processes were followed" when work continued around a dead colleague at its Burnside site last week.

In a statement sent to the Daily, a spokeswoman said the organisation was "very saddened by the tragic circumstances last Thursday".

"Australia Post is committed to the safety and well-being of our staff; continuing to support staff affected by last week's events, and ensuring this incident informs part of our regular safety review process," she said.

Questions were being asked after three people contacted the Daily saying staff had continued working around the body for "hours" until it was taken from the site.

One claimed a blanket had been thrown over the body with witches hats put around it while work continued.

The death of the 49-year-old man was not suspicious.

Australia Post said staff weren't forced to continue working, but confirmed the site "remained operational".

The Communications Workers Union said it would seek an explanation from Australia Post as to "whether process followed was appropriate".

CWU National Secretary Greg Rayner said the Union would also investigate whether workers were "forced to continue their work and if the facility should have ceased operations following the incident".

The Union has not responded to questions whether his investigation had concluded.

The Daily has contacted the man's family for comment, which they declined.

Topics:  australia post burnside dead body editors picks


Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Footy dad: I can hold my head high

Geoffrey Whittaker says it's 'awesome' to see justice served after enduring a trial this week. He was found not guilty of assault.

'I'm glad I'm not the one that looks like the idiot any more'

Footy fight: Coach accused of spiteful, 'vicious' act

Geoffrey James Whittaker, who has pleaded not guilty to assault charges at a football carnival.

'Sometimes it's appropriate to defend oneself by striking first'

Dad 'head-butted' footy coach during kids' rugby carnival

Geoffrey Whittaker has pleaded not guilty two assault charges. The offences are alleged to have occurred during a children's football carnival in 2016.

Geoffrey James Whittaker pleads not guilty to two assault charges

Local Partners